Sunday 9 March 2014

In the UK I always drink 100% fruit juice. Many companies try to hide the bullshit they stick in their drinks with titles like 'juice drink' or 'orange flavor' and there's always some chemical in the ingredients list with a warning that it affects the concentration and behavior of children. I'm wise to every trick and I can safely say that there is no 100% juice anywhere in Jakarta. Every ingredients list starts 'water, sugar.' Being lazy I find it pretty annoying that I now have to peel or wash or fruit instead of just pouring out an unwashed glass for myself but at least tropical fruit is readily available.
             Imitations and fakes are popular throughout Indonesia. My flat mate recently bought a new phone. While he was researching local brands like 'smartfren,' he came across a phone made by lenovo which is only available in Southeast Asia. The reason it's only available in this part of the world is because it's a samsung note 3 and contains all the exact same parts and has all the same specifications. This means they can't release it anywhere else because of copy-write restrictions. It's under half the price of a normal samsung.
             The charms of cheap technology come at a price however. Jakarta is a disgusting city. I love walking and nature. I just went out for a walk and I feel sick and have a nasty headache. All the crowded car and motorbike stuffed roads look the same. The smell of shit blasts up from every open drain and the roads are littered with decaying dead rats, cats and the occasional dog. Thirty seconds after setting off I was dizzy with petrol fumes and after a few minutes I was retching intermittently. The only respite from the strong smell of shit or dead animal is when you pass one of the many restaurants or a big bus or car which overpowers the smell by choking you. On my way back a lizard clearly couldn't take it anymore either because it died and fell out withered tree in front of me. I can't imagine what kind of hell it must be to work as a vendor on one of these roads as a short walk was enough to make me see why nobody walks anywhere here. I had a quick look at the sea in Pluit (North Jakarta) the other day and somehow even that was black and had lots of dead fish floating in it. If I ever get a Saturday off it would be wonderful to see a part of Indonesia without concrete on it.

2 comments:

  1. Oxygen mask and tank wherever you go????

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have so much admiration for you Jack, dead fish, cats, dogs, lizards oh yuk :-( my idea of pure hell.... I couldn't bear it for a day. Well done you.

    ReplyDelete