Saturday 1 March 2014

Last weekend I went on a laser tag event organized by work and came second last. I took the random picture on the way because my phone is finally back in working order. After samsung tried to charge me a fortune, I gave it to one of my students who handed it back two days later with a jolly roger where the warranty sticker used to be and the SIM card wedged in with a piece of tissue. The screen displays more colours than black now though and I couldn't find the part it needed online for cheaper than the repair cost.
I thought about the picture while I was cutting out materials for a co-workers lesson. The reason she couldn't cut them out herself was because she was pregnant. Half way through cutting out the materials I asked her again why she couldn't do it herself and she told me it was a superstition. My other co-worker refuses to cut her toenails at night because then she won't be able to see her parents in the after life. I thought superstitions that stop you from doing something generally had a reason behind them. 'Don't walk under a ladder,' because a brick might fall on your head. 'If the wind changes direction your face will stick like that,' because the face that kid is pulling is really fucking me off. Why would anyone want to stop you from clipping your toenails at night when that is the most convenient time? I hardly have time to open my eyes in the morning and I start work at 3pm. What's the story behind cutting things while pregnant? I've tried to ask around but I haven't had any definite answers about it.
That's probably because their aren't any. In the picture there is a baby sandwiched between the two adults that you can't see, and that isn't the most people I've seen on a scooter. Maybe a better superstition would be don't take your baby on a motorbike? At least people are free to do so. There may be a nanny for every child at work but at least people can be spared being nannied by their government.

2 comments:

  1. Pregnancy superstition comes from Feng Shui. It's the 'Sha Qi' or 'poison arrow' means that any pointed objects near the pregnant belly are directing bad/killing energy towards the foetus. In modern terms, who'd want anything sharp within stabbing distance of an unborn baby? Danger of an accident, so H & S again. Glad you're cutting your toenails - at any time of day or night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to work with someone who cut his nails at work. Do all that boring stuff in work time he used to tell me. Toilet too. I used to admire him for that.

    ReplyDelete