Thursday 13 February 2014

I've had a request to write something about the food. When I'm at work I order in 'nasi goreng' pretty much every day, mainly due to the office girl looking at me blankly when I try to order anything else. Nasi goreng is fried rice and extremely popular in Indonesia. It normally has chicken and chillies but sometimes it has egg and even vegetables if you get lucky. It varies day to day even though it comes from the same place. You always get an inflated plastic cylinder of chilli sauce too. I'm pretty good with hot stuff but sometimes two drips of the sauce is enough to render the hole thing inedible.  Other times the hole packet does nothing but water down the rice. Using the sauce is a roulette that can leave you sneezing blood and belching flames during your next lesson. The whole thing including delivery costs about 70p.
Food on the street is everywhere. Carts that can be cycled around line just about every road. Even our house, which is in the middle of nowhere, has a 'ketaprak' bloke right next to our gate manning a little cart. Ketaprak, from what I've seen of it, seems to be like a cold potato and noodle salad but despite the bloke outside looking at me wide eyed and offering me food every time I walk in I've yet to try it.        
This is because when I first arrived and my house mate was throwing up every five minutes he'd shout from the bathroom 'It was that bastard ketoprak man! I ate there yesterday,' and I haven't been brave enough to try any. This week one of our students is hopefully going to take me to try 'rendang' which is apparently 'the best food in the world.' It has been recommended to me about 84 times and it's some kind of spiced beef. If I don't get to try it, maybe I'll man up and speak to the ketoprak man.

1 comment:

  1. Man doth not live by rice alone, Please augment the nasi goreng with some protein and vegetables. Fruit? Salad? Glad that a student is taking you out - sounds like fun, and hope the best food in the world lives up to its reputation!

    ReplyDelete